South Mississippi has more restaurants open this year for Thanksgiving dine in, take out or a little help in the kitchen with appetizers, sides and pies.
Many people in South Mississippi will cook dinner at home to save money and to have leftovers, yet it may be less expensive this year to make reservations. The cost of going out to dinner rose 8.6% over the last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Meanwhile, eating at home jumped 12.4%. Either way, turkey is likely to be the star of the menu.
But it doesn’t have to be.
“Infinity buffet will feature an array of traditional Thanksgiving dishes, including carved Cajun turkey breast, smoked brisket and lots of sides,” said Susan Varnes, general manager of Treasure Bay Casino in Biloxi.
“However, we have not forgotten about our loyal lobster lovers,” she said. “Along with the Dungeness and snow crab, whole lobsters will also be in the menu.”
Treasure Bay has crab legs for lunch and dinner every day and adds whole lobster to the dinner buffet every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The price is the same at Thanksgiving — $47.99 for the crab leg and lobster dinner and $20.69 without. Those with a player’s club card, seniors and military get a discount. The resort is open to those age 21 and older.
Casino buffets serving Thanksgiving fare:
- Silver Slipper Casino in Hancock County will serve Thanksgiving dinner all day starting at 11 a.m., featuring crab legs in addition to the regular menu and traditional holiday favorites. The resort also is open to adults 21 and older.
- Palace Casino in Biloxi will have turkey, ham, prime rib, boiled shrimp and holiday favorites on the buffet from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. for $30 per person, of $28 with players club card.
- Beau Rivage buffet will have brunch from 8-10 a.m. on Thanksgiving and dinner from 10 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Holiday specialties include turkey, Coca-Cola glazed ham, smoked turkey legs, prime rib, fried oysters, royal red shrimp, sides and desserts. The cost is $29.99 for brunch for adults and $19.99 for kids, with those under 5 eating free. Dinner is $42.99 for adults and $26.99 for kids.
- Island View’s buffet will have turkey and Thanksgiving sides in addition to carved round of beef, St. Louis barbecue ribs and seafood specials like gumbo, Gulf shrimp and crispy catfish. The dessert selections are bountiful, with a build your own sundae bar and lots more sweets. The Gulfport buffet is open to ages 21 and over from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. for $27.99 per person.
Restaurants open for Thanksgiving dinner:
South Mississippi has more choices for Thanksgiving dinner than many places. Nearly all of the restaurants at Coast resorts and casinos will be open and some of the steakhouses and fine dining restaurants will turn out delicious holiday fare. Reservations are suggested.
- Cora’s at White House Hotel, Doe’s Eat Place inside Margaritaville Resort and Sapphire Supper Club at Hotel Legends, all in Biloxi, are open on Thanksgiving.
- White Pillars in Biloxi is offering a three course Thanksgiving dinner, with choices like turkey and sausage gumbo or oyster hand pie for an appetizer and a wood grilled strip, pan seared amberjack, fried turkey or rabbit for the entree. Topping off dinner are a flourless chocolate torte, apple galette or pumpkin spice pot de creme. The price is $65 per person before add-ons, and vegetarian options are available on request.
- Mignon’s Steakhouse at Palace Casino will serve a three course meal from noon-6 p.m. for $45 per person. Along with turkey are choices like Gulf Coast corn and crab bisque and pumpkin creme brulee.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. at Golden Nugget Casino Biloxi has a menu all day for those who want turkey, for those who want ham and for those who can’t choose and will get both. The dinners come with traditional sides and a slice of pumpkin pie.
- Beau Rivage Resort & Casino will have Thanksgiving specials across its restaurants. BR Prime has a $44 Thanksgiving feast from 5-9:30 p.m. along with its full menu. Reservations are required. The $28 special at BetMGM Book Bar & Grill includes a turkey dinner with sides and a great view of the games. Praline spiced bread pudding with praline sauce will be available for dessert. Atrium Cafe’s thanksgiving platter with turkey and sides is $28 from 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Island View Casino also has special holiday fare at several restaurants. The $24 special at C&G’s provides choices like shrimp salad and seafood gumbo, turkey or beef tenderloin. The view at Dockside Deli comes with the $22 Thanksgiving dinner that starts with butternut squash bisque or Waldorf salad and ends with pecan or pumpkin pie from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Prime Cut has prime rib or roast turkey on the Thanksgiving menu from 5-10 p.m. and Carter Green Steakhouse offers veal Marsala or grilled pork loin from 5 to 10 p.m. for $45 per person.
- Some of the other casino favorites for Thanksgiving dinner are and Thirty-Two atop IP Casino Biloxi and at Sugar Factory at Hard Rock Casino Biloxi, where a Gobble Gobble pumpkin spice ice cream milkshake is decorated with pumpkin mellow creme, milk chocolate turkey, autumn mix sprinkle and salted caramelized pepita seeds — with a slice of pumpkin pie and whipped cream on the top.
Stores and take out for Thanksgiving:
Several restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores will make turkey dinner for you or supply sides and pies to make preparations easier.
- Greenhouse Biloxi is making buttermilk, bacon cheddar, sweet potato and gluten-free biscuits, along with biscuit dressing, quiche, cranberry jam, honey butter and other helps. Pumpkin pie is traditional, or serve their bourbon chocolate chess pie, peanut butter pie or lemon pound cake. Order by Nov. 19 for Nov. 23 pickup.
- Rouses Markets’ oyster Bienville dressing will be on many tables across the Gulf South this Thanksgiving, along with favorite casseroles and a tray of mini muffalettas if you choose.
- Winn-Dixie is helping families fight inflation with a $30 holiday meal, complete with a turkey and everything customers need for a Thanksgiving dinner right down to the pumpkin pie. It’s available through Nov. 22. The stores will be closed Thanksgiving Day.
- Georgia’s Corner Market in Vancleave is taking orders until noon Nov. 17 for pickup on Nov. 23. For something a bit different, try the collard and artichoke dip, carmelized onion and brie puff pastry and side dishes like smoked Gouda mac and cheese or sweet potato casserole with praline topping. Among the desserts are pumpkin cheesecake, cake or pie.
Free Thanksgiving dinner:
The Kelly Family and organizations in South Mississippi feed the less fortunate and those who don’t have family to share a holiday meal. Here are some of the places to get a free meal:
Nov 20 — Free Thanksgiving dinner to go, beginning at 1 p.m. at House of Healing International, 1612 31st Ave., Gulfport.
Nov. 21 — Feed My Sheep, 2615 19th St. in Gulfport, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Thanksgiving Day — The Kelly Family will host dinner at American Legion Hall, 701 Green Meadow Road, Bay St. Louis. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Call 228-223-7349 or email email@example.com by Nov. 19 for delivery to shut-ins.
Thanksgiving Day — Fat Bottom Barbeque at 1785 Beach Blvd., Biloxi will serve a free meal from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. to anyone in need, military, veterans, first responders or just someone who needs somewhere to go. Donations accepted to purchase Christmas gifts for local children.
Thanksgiving Day — Gulf Coast Rescue Mission, 2750 Mission Lane, Biloxi. Noon-4 p.m.
National chains open on Thanksgiving:
According to the Holiday Hours and other websites that track national restaurant openings and closings, many of these chains will be open on Thanksgiving:
- Applebee’s — Hours vary. Regular and holiday menus available.
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Burger King — many locations open with reduced hours
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store — Dine in or pre-order a Thanksgiving heat and serve dinner plus pie. Cinnamon roll pie breakfast.
- Denny’s — Most are open with Thanksgiving dinner specials
- Domino’s — Most are open
- Firehouse Subs — Most will be open
- Golden Corral
- IHOP — has a new holiday menu with gingersnap apple French toast, pumpkin spice pancakes and gingersnap milkshakes and hot chocolate
- McDonald’s — Many locations will be open.
- Panda Express
- Papa John’s
- Pizza Hut
- Popeyes — Cajun style turkey is available to pop in the oven.
- Ruby Tuesday
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- Sonic — Some locations will be open
- Starbucks — Most are open
- Subway — Most are open
- TGI Fridays
- Waffle House — open 24 hours every day
- Wendy’s — most will be open
Most of the Coast locations of these national chain restaurants will be closed on Thanksgiving Day: Arby’s, Checkers, Chick-fil-A, Chili’s, Dairy Queen, Five Guys Burgers, Jimmy John’s, Little Caesars, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Newk’s Eatery, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Raisin’ Canes, Red Lobster, Taco Bell, Texas Roadhouse, Whataburger, Zaxby’s